Thursday 10 September 2009

Maybe making history?

My school may not be up there in the league tables, but I am willing to bet we have more published writers among our students than most schools in our area ...

Last term I entered several of my students into a writing competition - they were inspired by the examples of 50-word "mini-sagas" that I shared with them, and they had a go. I love encouraging kids to write, as the curriculum does not allow for much creativity, and even the less able students seem to enjoy expressing themselves constructively - from time to time!

I was delighted to receive a letter from the publishers of "Young Writers" at Remus House yesterday, informing me that 23 of my students' stories were selected for inclusion in a book that will be published in November. One copy will be housed in the British Library, one at our school, and a few others in libraries across our county. Wow! Our school may also be in line for a cash prize, but that would just be the cherry on top of a very special treat.

What really pleases me is that among the 23 are two kids who seldom shine at anything - and who have relatively low self-esteem as a result. How wonderful if this achievement, which will be celebrated at our assembly and in our local press, prompts them to see themselves in a more positive light, and helps them to discover hidden potential.

That's why I became a teacher - for moments like this. Makes all the slog worthwhile!

PS - out of 8 new classes, only two scary students - bonus!

No comments: