Monday 31 August 2009

Back to school blues

Ever noticed how, just when you really settle into your summer groove, it's suddenly time to go back to school? It always, always seems to sneak up on me, with the last two weeks going by in an unappreciated blur.

However, this has been a great summer. I got to spend time with family, catch up with friends, get reasonably fit again, read loads of good books, watch movies with my kids, cook, walk and find romance again - not bad going for five short weeks!

In addition, I was really pleased with the results of my students - all except one achieved their target grade or above - what a motivation to work even harder with this year's cohort! I am actually (hate to admit it, but it's true) looking forward to getting started again. It's just the INSET days I am dreading.

Am I the only one who thinks starting with INSET is a bad idea? You can see everyone trying to look as if they are focused, meanwhile all anyone can think of is the pile of stuff to get ready before the new classes storm through the door on Thursday. It's particularly relevant this term, because our school was off limits all summer, so I haven't even been able to go in and unpack the boxes I moved from my old classroom in July.

Unlike last year though, when I was new to the school and the profession, I now realise that the world won't end if my classroom displays are not perfect on day one. Instead of panicking, I plan to have a relaxed atmosphere for the first few days (relaxed - not undisciplined or chaotic!) and take some time to get to know the kids. I intend to make them feel that my classroom is a good place to be - that will hopefully make them more receptive to the subject!

Some of this "inspiration" has come from reading the autobiography of Frank McCourt (author of "Angela's Ashes") of his teaching career. It is an entertaining and at times startling read - the way he admits to his failings. It's called "Teacher Man" and I recommend it.

1 comment:

bmac said...

Congratulations on a very productive summer! As for INSET, we really should think about its purpose ...