Tuesday 18 August 2009

My greatest teachers: part 1

In my humble opinion (yes, I'm being ironic!) good teachers like to teach, but great teachers like to learn. How can you inspire anyone to learn if you don't have a passion for knowledge yourself? (I want to be a great teacher, but I will need another couple of decades of learning first!)

We start learning as soon as we become sentient, and I want to pay tribute to everyone who has taught me valuable lessons.

From my dad I learned how much I love calmness, and stoicism. He always made me feel secure and confident in my abilities. Where some people might think to themselves, in a tricky situation, "What would Jesus do?", I think, "What would Dad do?"

My brother R has shown me what true strength of character is. He has had to go through a lot, but he has always remained honourable, kind and loving. He really does turn the other cheek. He was, to be less rose-tinted about things, a bit of a tyrant towards me when he was a teenager, but boy! Did that teach me to stand up for myself! Then he became my best friend and confidante when I was a teenager.

My sister S is the sunny flipside to my often sombre personality. She has been the one to help me lighten up when I need to, and keep things in perspective. She gathers people about her like a flower attracts butterflies, and they depart happier for the nectar of her open and friendly presence (not to mention her yummy food!)

I have also gained wisdom from some of the things my relatives taught me NOT to do:

  • Ride a motorcycle very fast while drunk
  • Jump off a roof with an umbrella as a parachute
  • Eat millipedes
  • Ride a bicycle before learning how to stop (or steer)
  • Drive Dad's car around the neighbourhood without a licence
  • Toss empty aerosol cans into a bonfire
  • Go on a long international holiday by car - without your passport
  • Borrow money
  • Cut your toenails with a razor blade
  • Drink tea over your laptop
  • Do a backflip off a swing

Mostly, my family taught me that there is a bond between people who love each other that cannot be weakened by separation in time and distance. Sadly, I have also had to recognise that simply being related does not equal being connected.

No comments: